Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Expectation

This morning, Eric and I started a new routine. We are waking up early in the mornings, before he goes to work, and spending some time reading scripture, journaling, praying and discussing. It's one of those things that you know will be good for your emotional and spiritual health, but it is so hard to do. Getting up out of bed before your baby wakes up seems almost impractical. If she's sleeping, shouldn't I be?

But now that the time reading has passed, it's 7:45 am, and I am feeling wonderful. Refreshed. Excited for the day. Expecting great things.

I am reminded of Nora. Every single time (I can count on my hand the number of times where this has not been true) she wakes up--whether from a good night's sleep or a nap--she greets me with a smile. When I take her out of her crib, and we descend the stairs together to our main level, she kicks her legs with excitement. Sometimes, if I playfully hurry down the stairs, she giggles.

Every time she wakes up, she expects great things. Each moment awake means she might witness or be a part of something good. And she knows that. For a one year old, it could be as simple as running around the kitchen table as I chase her. Or pulling books off of our bookshelf. But this is all it takes.

What would our days look like if we approached them with that same childlike excitement? And how would they differ from the days where we have to pull ourselves out of bed, and methodically place one foot in front of the other?

Every day holds promise. I'm hoping that we remember that, the way a child does.

"Great is his faithfulness. His mercies begin afresh each morning." Lamentations 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Katie Vogel Media

Katie Vogel Media