Friday, November 9, 2012

India: Book 2

If you've read my previous post about my writing, then you know that I am currently waiting for Zondervan to decide whether or not they want to publish my book! Still can hardly wrap my mind around that----in fact, I'm trying not to think about it too much or else I'll have a panic attack. In the meantime, I am beginning to write my second book in the series.

Planning a book, especially a historical novel, requires a lot of time researching on the internet. Something that I do not feel very competent in (do they have a class for that?!). I am finding that books are still the way to go. Crazy, eh? In this day and age, with countless resources online, I still find an old-fashioned book the best tool.

In this novel, the heroine is a young woman who wants to pursue nursing. In 1820. Not only is a career for a woman practically unheard of, but, in this time, the only people who cared for the sick (outside of actual physicians) were prostitutes and criminals---as punishment.

Eleese Roscoe comes from a prominent family in England, and therefore her father refuses to allow her to partake in something so scandalous. So she convinces him to allow her to travel to the family silk plantation in India, where her grandfather is the burra-sahib ("great man"). Her intention is to secretly care for the workers and orphans who live on the plantation, but when she arrives, India is on the verge of a Cholera pandemic. Leesa quickly learns that she is in over her head and must rely on the Lord to sustain her---not something she does easily. But then, how often are we good at that?

On top of all of that, her father entrusts her care to the man she despises most: Captain Jack Connor. (What is a story without romance, really?) Jack must give her passage on his merchant ship to India and then guide her through the jungles of India to the plantation. And this journey is not an easy one, for countless reasons. But you will have to read it to find out (I'm hopeful it will be published, am I not?).

As you can see, I have a lot of research to do! India, ships in the 1800s, East India Company, a bit about China... etc., etc. My workload is cut out for me, but I must say that I love this part of plotting. Most of the time, when I'm not really thinking about the particulars (like the fact that most people only bathed once a week, if that), I wish I lived in another century. Nothing too barbaric. Maybe just the 1800's. Where I could wear pretty dresses and ride horses everywhere I went. If someone invents a time-machine, I'm all over that. Anyone else with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Katie Vogel Media

Katie Vogel Media