Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Don't Despise the Day of Small Things

I just returned home from a writer's conference in Philly and my heart is wrestling. I can't decide if I should be encouraged by the compliments and affirmation, or if I should temper my excitement with reality. The reality is, the road to publication is a long, bumpy, sinuous road.

But I met with a friend today and she confirmed something that I already knew -- God is planning my steps with purpose. My husband, Eric, is my biggest cheerleader. Sometimes he has so much faith in me I know I'll let him down. But I think he was sent directly from God, meant to encourage me on this journey so I don't give up when the going gets tough. Without his full-hearted belief in my craft, I wouldn't have even made it this far in my writing.

So it encouraged me to see all the little places that God is planning my steps. And when I look for them, I see them everywhere! I haven't been able to find a job this past year - much to my dismay. But without one, I spent all my free time writing. And now I've finished my book. Maybe it was a blessing, then?

Think about where you are right now. Are you working toward a goal? Something you feel like God has placed on your heart for you to do? Is it missions? Or pursuing a childhood dream? Or even sharing with your coworkers about the love of Jesus?

Delight in the small things. Zechariah 4:10.

Since it normally is a long road before we see fruit for our labors, learn to love the small things that God gives us to show that we are on the right path -- even the encouragement of someone else. Maybe God sent them there to do just that. To encourage you toward the goals He has set before you. Because He has given you the ability. So use your talent - don't hide it - and He'll do even greater things in you.

I am praying specifically for Kingdom Creativity -- for me, and everyone else who is tackling a form of the arts to reveal God's love and truth.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie,
    In your writing you come across as such an encourager! Keep exhorting others and following Him closely and doors will open you never dreamed possible. We never realize how each small step we take interconnects with other peoples steps and eventually pull the big picture into focus. Does that make sense? God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Katie Vogel Media

Katie Vogel Media